My dad, was famous. I was in the Walmart last night, and this couple, came up to me and said, aren't you ****** daughter? My dad was a radio personality. Yes, I reply, I have become used to having people stop me and ask me. But in the last month, it has increased. So she asked how old was I now, and I told her, and she was stunned. Because I had my daughter with me, I asked the woman, if she listened to my dad a lot, and she informed me that my dad was the first black dj in the area. He introduced "spinning records," to the area. Now that I did not know, I can only remember not being able to go, and watching my sister and brothers, get all primped up for a party. I also remember getting in trouble for mixing up the records stored in our garage. My dad would say, you are messing up my sets. Huh?
The lady also made me remember a public annoucement I actually recorded on the radio for Martin Luther King's birthday. She got carried away, by starting to tell about her crush she had on him. Anyway, the man, began asking me questions about basketball. Which I found weird. After a few minutes I asked him why was he asking me about basketball, and he says, you know why, which I did, but... he goes, your father started the Rec and Parks league. In fact, he won the championship as a coach so many times, that they had to lower the age for kids to join, so they can make the league grow. Funny, but I didn't' know that he started the league. He asked me if I still played. Which I knew was coming. He goes on to say, that my father threatened to stop coaching if they didn't let me play. At the time it was only for boys, and I was the first girl to play in the league. I just said yes, but I really don't. I actually coach as well as referee, basketball. So they begin reciting, favorite sayings and quotes, that my dad did on the radio. Now my daughter believes me when I say that my dad was famous.
No comments:
Post a Comment